Skip to main content

Evacuation

I've been trying to collect my thoughts and explain to family friends how crazy these last several weeks have been. Losing a job, leaving a family, entering reverse culture shock, all within an unprecedented and unexpected timeline. Fortunate for me, my friend and fellow volunteer explained it more eloquently than I could, complete with time stamps and email correspondence with staff. See link below (thank you, Claire).

https://hotmangoes.home.blog/2020/03/26/what-in-the-world/?blogsub=confirming#subscribe-blog

The big difference between her experience and mine is I was in site a during the last few correspondences. I was battling internally with the decision to take an interrupted service while faking a smile on the outside. Then packing my bags and all my belonging but keeping my shutters closed so none of the kids would yet know I'm leaving for an unknown amount of time. The phrase "dead man walking" kept running through my head as I floated through town with this weight and everyone went about their seeming normal days not yet aware at how the virus will continue to affect their lives. Despite these hardships, I used my last moments to teach hand washing and soap making one least time, and more importantly, say my good byes to the people that meant the most to me. These good byes were difficult, some met with silence and/or tears, but also a reflection of the impact we've made in each others lives. Yes it is trying, but I'll see these amazing people again.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here are a few thousand words from my last week in Senegal.  Not photographed: My last moments with my host mom, Bineta Ndao, and my close friend Marie Ndiaye. I will miss these two more than anyone else. Instead of taking pictures we spent our last hours talking, laughing, crying about all the good and bad from the last year and the years to come. I wish I could have captured these times, but I will never forget nor do I regret not taking pictures as we soaked up every moment.

The Best Stage (ft. our wax masks) @ the DC airport
HE CED Stage 2019-2020

Not "good bye" but "see you later" to close friends at the training center
(Most of ) the Kaffrine region at the airport
Pat and Greyce bumped up to first class because the flight to Chicago had no one else
Last night in the training center: one last jam session with best friend mariner and Wolof teacher Ousmane
Last look at the hut with host dad, Baay Mor
One of my last moments with counterpart Moussa and his son, Eliman. A very Stoic duo.
Beyond excited to see baby brother Mohamed stand before I left. Note his smile is complete with all them teeth!
Last soap making session (in conjunction with laundry day) for some students and whoever would listen

Comments

  1. Dear Pat, I'm so sorry that your beautiful adventure was cut short, but it certainly did not end. With every single act of love and kindness you and your community shared, you have all been changed. That is the beauty in mission work right? You will never say the words "I need a new 65' flatscreen TV, (although come on, we all want one), and your friends will always remember this loving soul that came to help but gained as much as he gave. This experience mattered for everyone involved. You changed lives, one of them being your own. I hope that you don't let this be your last blog post. I hope that you share those lessons learned as you are reminded of them here at home. I know you have important lessons to share. Welcome home.

    Aunt Darby

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-Service Training

Pre-Service Training (24 Feb. - 3 May 2019) Staging:     After months of questions, paperwork, doctors appointments, packing, and definitely stressing, about seventy of us conglomerated at a hotel outside of Philly for what Peace Corps calls staging. In a nutshell, returned volunteers now working for Peace Corps gave us a full days worth of information on what to expect, what to know, and a healthy reminder that this is the best opportunity to turn back if you have any doubts. One did. Conversations were very heavy at times. Other times, it was very exciting to meet 67 or so like-minded people. We all came from different backgrounds, some with the years of experience in health or business, some willing to travel anywhere and unperturbed by foreign challenges, some with exceptional language skill – you name it – but all with the common goal of helping others. To this day, I think the ability to bring in so many diverse and talented people is one of the greatest qualities of Peace

December into March: I’ve been here a year!(?!?)

It’s official. I have been in Senegal for over a year now.  The language feels proficient and the hair is long enough to be put in a proper bun (albeit the language could be better and I could probably use a maintenance haircut haha). So much has happened in the last three months, where do I start…. Portugal (That's not Senegal...?): In my last post, I left y’all mid-month after my training in Tambacounda and a last minute decision to spend the holidays in Portugal. If you did not read my thanksgiving catastrophe in the last blog post, I would implore you to do so; It’s a good laugh, but good reason to not want to spend the holidays at site.   Portugal has been on my list of places to go since study abroad in 2014, but I never had the time or money.   It was worth the wait.   For any foodie and/or history buff, there is no shortage of fun.   Actually, for anyone there is something to do. Even the sidewalks are beautiful.   Not being able to go home for the holidays for th